Siena has two universities: the University of Siena (UNISI) and the University for Foreigners of Siena (UNISTRASI).
UNISTRASI is located outside the historic center, in front of the Railway Station.
UNISI, on the other hand, has many different locations throughout the city. We will list the different buildings, giving the various indications and utilities.
Inside the walls
Fieravecchia – Wikipedia
Fieravecchia's palace houses the Library of the humanities area and some classrooms used for the lessons.
Via Fieravecchia, 19 – 53100 Siena
Library opening hours (http://www.sba.unisi.it/baums/orari-di-apertura): Monday to Friday, 8.00am-7.30pm.
The Mattioli headquarters houses the Library of legal-political area and the following departments:
- DGIUR: Law – Administrative and educational headquarters;
- DISPI: Political and international sciences – Administrative and educational headquarters;
- DISPOC: Social, political and cognitive sciences – Teaching activities (course of study in Social Service Sciences).
Via Pier Andrea Mattioli, 10 – 53100 Siena
- Monday-Friday: 8.00am-7.45pm
- Saturday: 8.00am-1.45pm
The botanical garden houses a building used by the DSFTA, Department of Physical, Earth and Environmental Sciences.
Via Pier Andrea Mattioli, 4 – 53100 Siena
Opening hours: Monday-Friday, 7.45am – 2.00pm
Pian de' Mantellini
The Pian de' Mantellini building houses the classrooms and offices of the DSFTA, Department of Physical, Earth and Environmental Sciences.
Pian dei Mantellini, 44 – 53100 Siena
The Rectorate building houses the university's main offices, including the Office of Public Relations and the International Place.
Via Banchi di Sotto, 55 – 53100 Siena
|International Place Siena|
Notes: the Rectorate's palace has two entrances; the main one, from Via Banchi di Sotto, and the secondary, behind the building, from Via di San Vigilio.
The Sala Rosa is a reading room of the University of Siena; not being a library, it does not have books that can be consulted, but it is easily accessible for autonomous study, also thanks to the extended hours.
Piazzetta Silvio Gigli, 1 – 53100 Siena
The large complex of San Francesco houses the offices and classrooms of the departments of:
- DISAG, Business and Legal Studies;
- DEPS, Political Economy and Statistics.
In addition, in its premises we find:
- the School of Economics and Management;
- the Economic Area Library;
- the CLA, University Language Centre;
- the Centre for Innovation and Quality in Public Administrations – UnisiPA.
Piazza San Francesco, 7/8 – 53100 Siena
- Monday-Friday, 7.45am-7.45pm
- Saturday, 7.45am-1.45pm
San Galgano, São Paulo
The Palace of San Galgano welcomes the direction of the DSSBC, the Department of Historical Sciences and Cultural Heritage, including the administrative secretariat, the Student and Didactic Office and some studies of professors.
Via Roma, 47 – 53100 Siena
San Niccolò houses the departments of:
- DFCLAM: Philology and criticism of ancient and modern literature;
- DIISM: Information engineering and mathematical sciences;
- DISPOC: Social, political and cognitive sciences.
In addition, it houses one of the two locations of the Library of scientific-technological area.
Via Roma, 56 (Palazzo San Niccolò, former Psychiatric Hospital) – 53100 Siena
|Phone||0577 235530 (int. 5530)|
- On foot: From piazza del campo, take the Chiasso Largo, turn right in via Pantaneto, follow via Roma and turn right (former psychiatric hospital), past the arch you arrive at the San Niccolò university complex. The library is located at the back of the building, near the bar.
- By car: Follow the signs to Porta Romana.
- By bus: Take the Pollicino in Piazza del Mercato line 51 (Terminus Corocina). Porta Romana stop.
San Niccolò is a large complex, composed of some rooms that may not be easily identifiable:
- the Outer Pavilion is a set of large classrooms that are located, looking at the main entrance, on the left side of the building;
- the Palazzina di Fisica, or Osservatorio, is not far away and it is possible to get there following the road that runs along the main building on the right and descends towards the Orto de Pecci.
- the Red Tower is an area of the main building, and is only accessible through the elevator or stairwell located in the south corner of the building.
Santa Chiara Lab
University Service Centre.
Via Valdimontone, 1 – 53100 Siena
Opening hours: Monday-Friday, 09.00-19.30
Also called the Mazzi Funaioli Complex, it welcomes some teacher studies, laboratories and classrooms of the DSSBC, Department of Historical Sciences and Cultural Heritage.
Via Roma, 56 – 53100 Siena
The Servi complex has two entrances:
- the main one, which is accessed entering from the arch of the Palazzo San Niccolò in via Roma 55, taking the first climb to the right and continuing along the climb, always keeping the right, until the end of the road;
- the secondary, which is accessed from the opposite side of the building, from Via dei Servi, accessed by a small bar door located on the walls to the right of the façade of the basilica.
Outside the walls
The Laterino complex houses offices and classrooms of the departments of:
- DSV, Life Sciences;
- DSFTA, Physical, Earth and Environmental Sciences.
In addition, it houses one of the two locations of the scientific-technological library.
- On foot: From Piazza del Campo walk all over Via di Città, continue on Via Stalloreggi, take via Paolo Mascagni and finally continue on Via Laterino. After the arch turn right and pass the parking lot. The library is located within the educational complex, floor -1.
- By car: Follow the signs to Porta San Marco, turn immediately after the door on the left, walk via del Nuovo Asilo and turn left.
- By bus: Take the Thumb in Independence Square, line 54. Porta Laterina stop.
Via Laterino, 2 – 53100 Siena
The Le Scotte Headquarters is located within the Sienese University Hospital, at the Santa Maria alle Scotte Polyclinic, on the First Floor of the Third Lot. It houses the departments of:
- DBM: Medical biotechnology;
- DMMS: Molecular and development medicine;
- DSMCN: Medical, surgical and neuroscience sciences.
In addition, it houses one of the three locations of the biological drug medical library.
- By bus: from the Train Station take one of the buses to the Policlinico: numbers 3, 10, 17, 77 (travel time about 6 minutes).from
Piazza Gramsci take one of the buses to the Policlinico: numbers 3, 10 (travel time about 13 minutes).fr
om Piazza del Sale take one of the buses to the Policlinico: numbers 17, 77 (travel time about 11 minutes).
- By car: follow the directions to the Polyclinic.
- on foot: from Piazza del Campo reach Piazza Gramsci or Piazza del Sale and take one of the buses already mentioned otherwise continue towards the Railway Station and then head towards the Policlinico area.
Policlinico Le Scotte – Terzo Lotto, Primo Piano – Viale Bracci – 53100 Siena
San Miniato, San
The University Scientific Pole of San Miniato welcomes the offices and classrooms of the departments of:
- DBCF: Biotechnology, Chemistry and Pharmacy;
- DSV: Life Sciences;
- DMMS: Molecular and Development Medicine;
and classrooms used by the departments of:
- DBM: Medical Biotechnology;
- DSMCN: Medical, Surgical and Neuroscience Sciences.
In addition, it houses two of the three locations of the library of biological drug medical area (Educational Center, Sector D).
The indications are the same as those to get to the Scotte complex; in fact, the two poles are very close and moving from one location to another on foot is easy and quite quick.
Via Aldo Moro, 2 – 53100 Siena